Creative Souls
Welcome to Creative Souls! This annoying popup is going to follow you around until you login or register. >=D So I suggest you do so now.
If you plan on viewing the forum as a guest, be aware that as a guest you won't be able to reply to anything and won't be cabable of accessing some parts of the forum. I'd suggest you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Creative Souls
Welcome to Creative Souls! This annoying popup is going to follow you around until you login or register. >=D So I suggest you do so now.
If you plan on viewing the forum as a guest, be aware that as a guest you won't be able to reply to anything and won't be cabable of accessing some parts of the forum. I'd suggest you register.
Creative Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meaning

3 posters

Go down

Meaning Empty Meaning

Post by superdork11 Mon 16 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

Guess who's been feeling slightly creative lately? Me! But, I wrote this a few nights ago, and thought I would share. I guess it's not really creative... More rant-y. Alas, enjoy.

The world is screwed up. I mean, there are so many things going wrong at the same time, you just don’t know what to do. There are so many charities, benefitting so many causes, and it’s like a social taboo not to do something supportive. Maybe you do, it’s just for a different cause, maybe it’s your own that you thought up. Is it still a good cause? Yes. Do you still get credit? Maybe not. But what’s the point of doing it if you don’t get credit? What’s the point of doing it for credit? Maybe you just want to focus on your own life, be in your own secluded little bubble, be normal. What does normal mean, then? Live in a society where everything goes according to your plan? No, that can’t be right. That can’t happen, can it? Lead a normal life? A life of happiness? Then were do we get happiness? What causes it, and why? What makes us know that doing something will reap the reward of being happy? There are so many things that aren’t right in this world. But even that statement’s off. What’s right? To be in a good house, with people who love you, get an education, do something for the world? Maybe that’s part of it, but there’s much more that can and needs to be done. As much as everyone strives for world peace, it won’t happen, it’s not human nature. But what’s the point of fighting? To prove you really are the “Alpha Male”?
Doing the right thing? Who chooses what the right thing is? Do you just make it up as you go along and hope other people agree? Is there some ulterior force that decides what the right thing is? Back to the world. Everyone wants to help others, and we have the resources to do it, but instinctively we all protect our own resources. We don’t want to waste them on others, when they could be used to benefit us. But what about those who have more than enough? Can’t they be bothered to share the love? Spread their wealth with the less fortunate? Is it really less fortunate to be poor? Your life is more pure, then, living unaffected by technology. What’s the point of technology for technology’s sake? Help us live easier? How does an iPad help us live? It’s a convenience that comes at the inconvenience of others. There’s no point to it. It’s no better than anything else for staying alive. In fact, it draws us away from our original state of being. Humanity is less earthy now than it was even a few years ago. We care less about the planet. We care less about the world around us. Everything is just “me, me, me.” What would be beneficial to me? Does it come at the expense of others? Do I care? What can I do to further myself in the world? But, where’s the point in that? Making advancemtnes in anything, what’s the point? Wouldn’t we be just as better off living nomadically, no medicine, no resources, no nothing, just man and the world around him? Sure, the death rate would be a heck of a lot higher, the population would be dramatically lower, and we’d be living a “barbaric” lifestyle. But who has the authority to say that society as it is today is better? What’s the point of furthering technology, it’s not going to do anything. Our planet might as well die out, the human race along with it, but are we really a good thing in the universe’s history book? So much slaughter. Of ourselves and of the things around us. It makes you start to wonder if it was even worth it. But, then again, we wouldn’t be here, under the circumstances that we are now, with the people, and the experiences we have. We would’t get to experience love, happiness, sadness, terror, emotions just for the sake of emotions. Does everything have to have some bigger meaning somewhere? Can the world just go on, for the sake of going on? Do human beings need a reason to strive for what we do? Do we just mae the reason, and then see where it takes us? Should the human race need an incentive to do what we do? Why would we want to bring another human into this world, just so they can experience the suffering of a dying planet, around for billions of years before we came along, a species that focuses more on value, what we have, what we can obtain, than… What? If not possessions, what do we try to achieve? We go through school, get a job, to what, exactly? What is it that we do everything we do for? There has to be something. Will humans ever know what that something is? Probably not. But we’ll strive for it anyway, because that’s what we’re brought up to do.
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Meaning Empty Re: Meaning

Post by Tolly12bells Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:48 pm

... Whoa. A very existentialist view, but true, nonetheless. Interesting thoughts on whether or not there is meaning behind life.
Tolly12bells
Tolly12bells
Rising Star 2
Rising Star 2

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:27 am

I noticed that, but I do kind of agree with the majority of their points. I was just pondering it all...
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tolly12bells Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:39 pm

It's interesting...
Tolly12bells
Tolly12bells
Rising Star 2
Rising Star 2

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

Yes...
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bela Kiss Sun 22 Apr 2012, 3:54 pm

Well, I just thought to check up on all you guys and how you're doing . . . and stumbled across this rant on meaning! Eileen, these are some great philosophical questions. What's not fun about philosophical questions is that they're usually asked and not answered. You've asked a lot of questions, and you say agree with a lot of these points here. You seem to conclude that the probability is that there is no answer--no answer to the meaning of life, at least no answer that we can find. All the things you mentioned in this piece of writing are, as you rightly perceive, people trying to find meaning. Trying to find meaning in themselves.

Now, there is an article on meaning that you should read, Eileen. It goes deeper into these questions, and poses a potential answer to them. These questions are hotly argued about and are very serious. Philosophy isn't some far off, ancient art of thinking. It does what you do, Eileen: asks questions, ponders them, and argues about meaning and answers.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-absurdity-of-life-without-god

It's written by a real live philosopher, too!
Bela Kiss
Bela Kiss
Apprentice 2
Apprentice 2

http://ponderousbuffoon.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

Interesting. I have to say, though, that I can't quite agree with it. Given that it's main point is that we must accept Christianity or be unhappy (or, at least that's what I gleaned from it), I can't accept that as the only option. Or an option at all. I have a strange way of thinking about it. Interesting, though.
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum