Creative Souls
Welcome to Creative Souls! This annoying popup is going to follow you around until you login or register. >=D So I suggest you do so now.
If you plan on viewing the forum as a guest, be aware that as a guest you won't be able to reply to anything and won't be cabable of accessing some parts of the forum. I'd suggest you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Creative Souls
Welcome to Creative Souls! This annoying popup is going to follow you around until you login or register. >=D So I suggest you do so now.
If you plan on viewing the forum as a guest, be aware that as a guest you won't be able to reply to anything and won't be cabable of accessing some parts of the forum. I'd suggest you register.
Creative Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outlanders

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Outlanders Empty The Outlanders

Post by Mercury Sun 12 Sep 2010, 1:51 pm

I've been forming a few ideas over time and this is a newer one that I'm formulating. I've only a general plot summary nothing in great detail but I work in small sections anyway so yeah. I'll have a first chapter up by the end of the week.

Spoiler:

I'll keep you posted on my progress as I write. I'm writing more of my Alice in Wonderland based book too, however, so I may not have it up as soon as I plan.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

http://voydforums.forumotion.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

The Outlanders Empty Re: The Outlanders

Post by Mercury Sun 12 Sep 2010, 1:55 pm

By the way, this isn't really the plot summary. That I'll post later. If you wouldn't mind, would you give me a bit of help? Should I post this in 3rd Person or in 1st from the girl's perspective?
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamer Sun 12 Sep 2010, 3:29 pm

Oooh! That sounds extremely interesting! Hm, I really don't know. I'd say third, because that's usually easiest and most effective, but if you really want to get inside the girl's head, which may be good for this story, then I'd say first.
Dreamer
Dreamer
Admin
Admin

http://nadinedreamer.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Sun 12 Sep 2010, 3:35 pm

Good point. I know how to do it in third so It's still a bit in her head but I don't think that'll work for this particular type of story. I'll try it. Aaaanyway, thank you for the feedback. I will try to have the actual plot summary soon. I've been busy working on Arc Rise.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Sun 12 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

Plot Summary.

Spoiler:
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tolly12bells Sun 12 Sep 2010, 4:52 pm

Oooooohh... O.o It sounds sort of like a book we had to read for summer reading, but to a different extreme. Please post more soon!
Tolly12bells
Tolly12bells
Rising Star 2
Rising Star 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Sun 12 Sep 2010, 5:54 pm

I'll post more as soon as I can.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Mon 13 Sep 2010, 3:09 pm

I have off of school tomorrow so I may be able to post the first chapter then.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 7:10 am

I will have a prologue up by later today.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Tue 14 Sep 2010, 8:26 am

Yay! Ooooh... That's sounds really really good!
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 12:20 pm

Note: Forumotion desperately needs to find a way for us to use the Tab Key rather than having to line break for every new paragraph Wallbash

Prologue

No one would have believed her years ago. She had received more scolding and lectures about “Reality” than any five year old girl should. Her imagination was unquestionable. But she simply refused to let it go. This place she claimed to know so well, the wondrous place she’d de-scribed, it couldn’t be real. No matter how much she wished, she couldn’t bring anyone to be-liever her. Could she be wrong? What would it mean if she was? Would it make her insane?

No, no she wasn’t insane. She never was. She was one of the most mentally sound young and brilliant young children anyone had ever seen. She simply had a wild imagination. But no, she was right. Everyone who taunted her, everyone who scolded her, they were all wrong. This place did exist. She knew from the very bottom of her heart that it was real. Whenever someone would sneer at her for her childish ramblings, she would protest with all her soul.

Upon age thirteen, she had taken more teasing and scolding than any person should ever have to endure. She simply held her head high and marched through her school grounds with the utmost confidence. Her faded pink hair flowing behind her, she’d march past anyone who mocked her. Soon came a day when she would finally get to shine fore her “Imaginings”.

On the last week of school, she was asked to a dance by a boy she’d held in high regard since she’d met him. His name was Robert. However, those close to him would call him Bobby. He had a long face and well kept black hair. As his mouth opened to ask, her heart sank. Would she be able to respond? He’d hardly ever said so much as three words to her before. “Hey, Lily,” he began. She couldn’t believe it. Not only did he know her name, he knew her nickname. “You want to come to the dance with me?” He asked, his voice echoing in her head.

She said nothing, only stood there, dazed. Her eyes glazed over, her heart racing, her mind on overload, she nodded. Then this clever girl shook her head but not to say no. She had to snap herself out of the limbo she’d entered. Then, as if the most well collected girl on campus, she calmly and cleverly asked, “Why do you want to go with me of all people?”

“You’re a fun person and really…” He paused as if trying to think of a word to suit her. “Interesting”, he concluded.

Eyes lit like a Christmas tree, she nodded again, rapidly, expressing her excitement. Switching her composition to calm and collected, she walked away. Hiding around the corner of the hallway, she sinks, sitting on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. She was finally getting some positive recognition, and from people she admired.

The night of the dance, she made sure everything was in check. The dance, itself, was a masquerade. She wore a beautiful black and purple mask that covered her upper face. Her dress, a radiant purple with a black jacket, she wore with great elegance. Upon arriving, she found Robert standing at the front door of the school’s colorfully decorated multi-purpose room. He wore his mask well with his black suite.

Taking her hand, he led her inside. Before he would dance with her, he introduced her to his group of friends, one of which had brought her arch rival, Michaela, as a date. “What’s she doing here?” The spiteful girl asked, hissing though her near featureless mask.

“I’m here to dance, just the same as you. Is there a problem with that?”

“We don’t need a freak here. It’s already weird enough with everyone in a mask.”

Michaela’s words cut like knives. Her tongue could pierce steel. Deciding to leave was the best choice she could have made. Sitting down, she managed to keep herself from growing impatient with Michaela, the Bane of her existence.

It wasn’t long before she was back on her feet. Robert had asked her to dance. Taking his hand, she begins to dance with him. She is a terrific dancer but he is not. She smiles through it though, not telling him as it may ruin the moment. But the moment was ruined anyway and all too soon. A faint voice from nowhere echoed in her head. “What a loser”, it said. But where was this voice coming from? It rang in her ears for the longest time before she finally realized, this voice was Robert’s.

Face written with confusion, she lets go and takes a step back from him. Other couples on the dance floor continue dancing but take turns watching from over their partners’ shoulders. “What’s wrong, Lil?” He asks innocently.

“You think I’m a loser?”

The surprised boy, looks to his group of friends by the stage and utters a signaling nod. She looks back at them all as one pulls on a rope dangling from the ceiling. She directs her at-tention to the ceiling above her head to see a bucket, tipping over. Thinking on her feet, she grabs Robert and pulls him then steps back as the gallons of water in the bucket pour down on his head. “Lilith, what the…what was that for?!” Robert asked, attempting to sound innocent.

“Don’t give me that, you jerk! I heard you call me a loser! Then they tried to dump that bucket on my head!”

“I didn’t say anything!”

“Stop Lying!”

With tears in her eyes, the deeply depressed girl runs from the room. Her sobs can be heard throughout the campus. She tears the mask from her face and drops it on the ground, leaving it there as she runs from the school grounds and to the park not far away. This night would forever be the most infamous night of her life.

Back at the dance, something is amiss. Roberts converses with his group of friends about what’d just happened only moments ago. “I don’t get it. It was working for a while and then she stopped dancing on her own,” Robert complained. “She said I called her a Loser, which I didn’t. I was thinking it but I never said it out loud.”

“Maybe someone else said it and she thought it was you,” Michaela argued. She was hardly acknowledging the fact that Robert had been soaked. Instead, she was worried about Lilith not being soaked. “It is a common nickname for her, around here”, she continued.

Nobody was quite sure what to think. But this night would long go on to be one of her most life impacting events ever. Rattled and distraught, she sat on the swing in the park and cried, looking to the ground as her tears fell to the mulch. The moonlight beamed down on her from above, giving her the appearance of a beautiful crying angel. That night, she would become a person she’d never imagined. And she’d take that persona with her for four more years of her, thus far, painful life.

This has been a prologue. It's 2 or 3 pages on MS Word, which is where I wrote it so Spell Check and Grammar check included though it doesn't catch everything so there still might be some in there. I'm just happy to have it up at all and happy to have FINALLY gotten a chance to start working on it! Crazy

If you like it/don't like it then Cute Clapping for "Yay!" or a Huh? for "Nay..." Haha, I like Emoticons. Believe me, the Fantasy Element will be there when I post Chapter 1. This was just to Establish the Character of Lilith a bit since she IS the main character.

Character - Warning! Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler:
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 5:18 pm

First actual chapter to be posted soon!
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 6:01 pm

6 or 7 pages in Word.

Chapter 1

In the years that followed the World Separation, the Outland had maintained a steady peace. The war before then had been like nothing the land had seen before. The utter carnage of it all was unbearable, even to the most bloodthirsty of warriors. The destruction caused by it was unyielding. For many years, someone could look in any direction and find almost nothing but rui-nation. Soldiers, still hungry for bloody after the war, became heartless, soulless murderers. Only by rule of King Solumn and Queen Vieneda were these tyrants dealt with, shipped off to wander forever in the Prison Labyrinth-a long and unforgiving maze in which prisoners were forced to roam for all eternity. Though, the absence of these troublemakers didn’t solve the problems in Outland. The Peace that had settled was very uneasy and by no means like it once was. The King and Queen were very much aware of this. They cared deeply for the Kingdom and ruled together as one. King Solumn was strict and relentless while Queen Vieneda was caring and forgiving. They upheld all of the Outland laws. The capitol city Almecha was hit hardest in all of the Outland. As a result, citizens of Almecha were reduced, more than citizens of any place in Outland, to the decay of poverty and chaos. But after many more years, the world began to revert to its ever wondrous affairs. Under the watchful eyes of the royal family, a new holiday was declared. It was to be entitled Remembrance Day, in honor of the day the long war ended. It was on this day that the Queen, too, bore her first child, a beautiful baby girl named Nyan.

~

Almost seven full years before Nyan’s birth, however, before Remembrance Day was ever declared, a close Friend of the Royal Family stopped to visit. His name was Sir Walter Justice of Almecha, a ranking member of the Outland military. He came before the king with dire news on that night. His face stiff as a board, his body language likewise, he was not at all happy to see them, not under these circumstances. “King Solumn, grave news,” he begins, waiting for approval to continue.

“What news?” The Queen asks, stepping down from her throne to greet the soldier be-fore her with and handshake.

“I’m afraid that there is no time for such greetings, my Queen,” he protests, “Someone, rather, a group of someones, I’ve heard that they plan to leave Outland.”

“All due respect, Walter, that is utter nonsense,” the king protests, “All ways to the Inland have been sealed off. Those that weren’t were hidden.”

“Aye, that, they were. But, my king, this particular group, whoever they may be, may have located one of the hidden exits. Though it is unknown to me how they’d ever heard of the Inland. They are too young to have been alive for the war after the war; you outlawed all mention of it in history and literature. You made sure that no one would ever know of the Inland’s existence unless they, themselves, were involved in the war.”

The King and Queen first pondered the situation. Uneasy glances exchanged between the three of them. This was a very serious issue. Never before had the King and Queen been in a situation that required much effort in deciding a course of action, not even during the war. The entirety of Outland was in danger. They would have to decide between capturing and containing these rebels, trusting them not to breathe a word about Outland to the Inlanders, or execute them before they could do any damage, whatsoever. They wished not to have to have anyone murdered. But the decision was difficult still. Too much was at risk.

~

Without so much as a single thought to the consequences of their actions, a brother and sister, twins of age 22, named Arch and Natalie, ducked and dodged through the Grennik Forest. Among the trees and dirt, in the midst of the lively wilderness around them, they’d hidden a secret in a cavern they’d discovered. Climbing into the infinitely twisting tunnels under the forest, the two make their way to a secret cave deep within. Waiting for them inside, are three others. One of them is older, roughly around his mid thirties, with white hair and bland gray clothes. “You’re late,” he says impatiently.

“Missed you too, Locke,” Arch replies with a hint of sarcasm. “What have you guys been up to?”

Granger sat at his desk, looking through his books. Never able to help being amused by the twins, he ventures a smile. Natalie then peaks over his shoulder at his book to see what he’s reading. “Granger, why can’t you ever read anything more exciting? Why not a love story for once?” She asks, looking to the other books up on the shelf that he could be reading.

“Natalie, why can’t you just let him read his physics books? It isn’t like he’ll actually enjoy anything you’re recommending for him,” Arch says, leaning on Locke, who pushes him away and moves, letting him lean against a wall of the cave.

Granger and Locke were very odd. Locke towered over everyone, standing nearly seven feet tall. His skin was as pale as a ghost and his white hair, messy and uncut. Granger was average in height but not as brooding as Locke and a certain bookworm. His circle rimmed glasses and green vest set him apart from the others. He’d usually stay quiet unless spoken to which Arch admired. Locke admired it too but more than likely just because he didn’t much like the way Arch cut into everything. Natalie was more polite than her brother but equally as sarcastic. The four of them made the group. But the last of them, Miranda, the youngest of them all at the young age of 17, was shy and didn’t stay around much. She was hardly comfortable speaking with anyone other than Natalie. Her petite body and large eyes often drew men to her but she was always to shy to say anything to her. She had a bit of a blank stare when she couldn’t come to say anything. She was the shortest among them all and with blue-green hair. Her voice, calm and soothing when she’d speak, would put people to sleep should she sing. She lingered in the far end of the cave, looking down at the water below. “Hey, Miranda,” Natalie said cheerfully. No answer. Miranda stared down into the water, hardly moving.

“Alright, listen, everyone. If we’re going to the Inland, we’ll need to follow the map I’ve drawn to the transfer point in this network of tunnels,” Arch announced, pulling out a map.

At the sound of this, Miranda stood and approached. The group of young Outlanders had long planed on leaving this world. They were tired of this place. Outland had nothing for them. They were all without family or friends, excluding one another. Arch and Natalie hadn’t any money and Locke hadn’t anywhere to go. Granger was simply tired of the world around him, labeling it “Uneventful”. Miranda never gave reason. She only tagged along the day she met Natalie.

Upon reaching one tunnel, the entire cavern grew dark. It was as though the sun and moon had burned out. The void of darkness crept up behind them and in front of them as they soon lost all visibility. They would have to be careful here, not only because they couldn’t see their hands two feet in front of them, but because in this tunnel, the floors were thin rock that could crumble with the slightest shift of weight. Suddenly, from the darkness, a spark flew. The spark did not fizzle out, no, it expanded and combusted into a great sphere of fire. Its light gloriously lit the cave. The blazing sphere never fell to the ground. It sat there in Natalie’s hand. Like a master of magic, she held the beautiful ball of fire from her hands, but never was she burned. Where did it come from? It had come from Natalie, herself. Here, in the world of Outland, this was only natural. Outlanders were capable of powers that Inlanders found incredible, powers that the Inlanders couldn’t have but desperately wanted. It was this that led to the Great War. This is what led to the World Separation. The well read Granger had told them about this. He’d read of the Inland in books of myth and legend but he’d never believed it real. It was he who confirmed this tunnel to be a gateway to the Inland. Arch was the one who initially found it. He’d fallen into the cavern and wandered around for days until he found it. It wasn’t until he’d fallen through the thin flooring of the cave and washed away to the shore of the Tiran Ocean at the edge of Outland, that he found his way home to his sister. He’d told her of his ad-venture and the two went, with Granger, back to the cavern, this time sure to make sure and avoid falling through the floor. Granger, ecstatic when he saw the gateway, immediately told the two that he’d wanted to find out if this place he’d read about was real at all. It was. It wasn’t until later that they’d met Locke and then Miranda.

The Gateway to Inland, at first glance, looks like a painting on the wall of the cave, meant to resemble the Outland. But if one were to pay close attention, it resembles a key. In Granger’s legend, all one needed to do to see the wonder behind the door was to find the place on the painting where there was one thing that did not belong.

Once the party arrived at the door, Granger began to scan it thoroughly. He found no item that he didn’t recognize as familiar to Outland. Suddenly the sound of a splash echoed through the tunnels. Someone had stepped in a puddle. The five was all there. There must have been someone else in the cave. Arch knew of a war but he’d no idea that it was with the Inland. He figured that people simply weren’t welcome here and, as such, the party had been trespassing for some time now. “Come on, Grange, that big brain of yours can go faster,” he urged.

“This is very delicate work, Arch. It requires a trained eye, that which I am not. So I must examine every crevice carefully.”

“Meanwhile, I think we’re going to end up in the Labyrinth if you don’t hurry.”

“Hey, you there,” shouted a soldier down the tunnel. He, himself, could not be seen for he was too far from the light. But he could see the party at the gateway. “This area is off limits. Step this way now. If you do not comply, we are authorized to use deadly force.”

“That’s always nice to hear,” Arch complained.

Suddenly, the gateway lit up. A radiant light coursed over the paint on the surface. Then the entire stone wall was consumed by it. The soldiers, armed with cyclone guns-vicious wea-pons that created violently spinning tornados to draw in an enemy, fired. The pallets opened and formed into violent twisters. But a panicking Arch backed up and tripped, falling through the mysterious Gateway and bringing everyone else with him.

“Blast it!” One of the soldiers shouted.

“What’ll we do now? The King and Queen will have our heads if they find out they es-caped into the Inland.”

“We might go on after them.”

“What good would that do? We don’t know the Inland and all and they’ve probably been going on periodic visits since they’d found the place. We will head back to Sir Walter Justice and inform him. They he shall inform the King and Queen. They would go easy on him.”

In fact, the two soldiers were all too incorrect. The party had never before set foot in the Inland and weren’t at all familiar with it.

~

They emerged, rocketing from a similar place underground. But this tunnel wasn’t nearly as extensive. As soon as they emerged, they were facing a waterfall from the inside. The small cave was hidden behind a Cliffside waterfall. They climbed out and up the cliff one at a time, helping one another climb a rope that Natalie had been wise enough to bring, along with a few more essentials. Upon reaching the top, they all gave a triumphant cheer, all except for Granger and Miranda, of course, both of whom did, however, utter some comforting smiles. The party had arrived in the Inland. Now the dilemma was finding where in the Inland they were. From the looks of things, they were in a large forest. The sounds were the same. Birds chirped, bugs buzzed, snakes hissed, everything was the same. Was this really the Inland or an unknown place in the Outland?

After some time, all seemed lost. Then Arch heard it. A sound from overheard, a whirring. A large machine with rotary blades flew by overhead. “Natalie, I think somebody’s in that thing!” Arch exclaimed. “Try and get their attention!”

Without a second thought, Natalie created a spark that became a small fireball in her hand. Flinging it like a catapult, the ball burst in mid air, darkening the sky and drawing the machine. From it came a voice. It boomed like thunder. “Is anyone down there? Does anybody need any help?” Caught in a daze, Arch could say nothing. Locke, however, climbed up the nearest tree and waved the men in the machine to him then pointed down at an opening in the treetops where the party was gathered.

The men lowered a ladder, letting everyone climb up. The ride was loud and, for Natalie, who had a general fear of flying, very uncomfortable. “So, what is this thing?” Locke asked ignorantly.

“I beg your pardon?” The man riding in the back with them, asked.

“What is this thing we’re flying in?” Locke impatiently repeated. He hated to repeat himself when all he’d done is ask the simplest of questions.

“You’ve never seen a Helicopter before?”

“I can’t say that I have.”

“Well, this is called a Helicopter. Anyway, what’s up with the strange clothes? Did you lot run off from the circus?”

Locke didn’t answer. He knew what a circus was and knew that anything he’d say to that remark wouldn’t be pleasant. The rest of the ride back was rather quiet, at least in the sense of conversation. The blades of the helicopter spun so quickly and loudly that it was almost impossible to hear anything without yelling. After a short time, the helicopter had left the immediate vicinity of the forest and landed in a large city. Miranda was fascinated by the massive buildings. “Where are we?” Arch asked, speaking for the first time since being in the helicopter.

“Oh, so I take it you’ve never heard of Washington DC either,” the man rudely replied with a sneer.

Upon leaving the helicopter, the group traveled through the city, getting dirty looks from people all around. Their clothes seemed to be drawing attention. None of them had seen build-ings quite like this. Arch looked in through the front window of one and saw a sea of clothes. It wasn’t until he built up enough curiosity to actually walk into one that he’d be informed of this place. “Well, hello there, circus boy,” said a young woman, approaching at a slow pace. “What’s up with you and your friends?”

“Well, to us, it’s more of a “what’s up with you?” These clothes are common where we come from,” Arch replied.

The girl had a friendly disposition and a nice smile. Her hair was long and red, tied in the back and she was tall, nearly six feet. Oh her shirt, a nametag that read April. “I bet they are,” she began. Arch had taken a liking to her in a way. “What o you say we get you and your friends some clothes that won’t get you all beaten to a pulp?”

Arch paced his answer. He knew that answer would also determine the fate of the group, or at least their appearance during their stay. But everyone agreed that it’d be best to blend in. So April led them deeper into the store. Halfway through the store, she tripped, snapping her shoe’s heel. She suddenly appeared much shorter. “Crap,” she said, hopping to a chair where she sat and removed her shoe.

“Your shoes were making you that tall?” Arch questioned with a confused look on his face.

“Yeah,” April responded, suddenly unsure of his sanity. “That’s why they’re called heels. Would you help me up?”

Arch held out his hand and helped April from her seat. Natalie and Miranda had wan-dered off into the store on their own while Locke roamed around, searching through the selec-tion. Granger seemed to be getting talked into a “deal” by a clever store clerk.

Once everyone, the group had managed to pick out some clothes and rang them up at a machine somewhat familiar to them but also slightly different. The clerk called it a register. It showed the dollar amount they’d need to purchase the clothing, over $1000. Miranda held out that amount in Outlander money. “Is this a joke?” The clerk asked impatiently.

“Hey, Reggie, give them a break. They’re not from around here. Here, I’ll pay it. Just take it out of my next pay check,” April said in an upbeat tone.”

“Fine,” Reggie grumpily protested.

“Hey, I take it you guys don’t have a place to stay. I live in a hotel not far from here. If you all come with me, I’ll help you all out.”

This time there was no hesitation from Arch. He knew the word Hotel and knew that they did need a place to stay. Without as much as a stutter, he answered, “Yeah, let’s go!” this time, receiving a scolding from the others. Nonetheless, they followed April, who led them onto a bus, again somewhat familiar but not. In the Outland, a bus wasn’t a machine so much as a magical transport from one place immediately to another. Unsure of events to come, Miranda looked through the window at all around her. The sight of everything, it was just overwhelming. Then the bus pulled off.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 8:06 pm

Chapter 2 soon! It's shorter though. Only about two and a half pages.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 8:30 pm

Make it one and a half. Typo, sorry. I may re-write this Chapter just to make it a bit longer though so stay tuned.

Chapter 2

The King and Queen pace throughout the castle, worried that the soldiers have not yet returned with the rebels. Queen Vieneda’s fear that perhaps they’ve employed their authorization to use has taken her full attention from the situation itself. How old are they? Are they ignorant to the past? Are they trying to spawn another Interland war? Why is this happening? Perhaps the queen was too worried. King Solumn, while worried, was not nearly as bothered as his wife. He sits at his throne, eyes closed, focusing on the possible events that may befall the kingdom. “Rest yourself, my queen. It is unlikely that the soldiers have used the deadly weaponry and more so unlikely that these people are aware of the history behind that Gateway,” Solumn says, trying to comfort his wife. It doesn’t work.

“Solumn, if they are ignorant to the gateway’s past, they have no reason to die. You authorized deadly force, not I.”

“Aye, this is true. However, they know that this only applies should there be a violent breakout. If they are ignorant to the gateway’s past, they needn’t fight.”

“Perhaps you are correct but I would like not to take that chance,” the queen protests, sitting down on her throne. Her face is written with fear and her heart feels as though it has sunk. She feels her stomach in her throat. The anxiety, the feeling that she may have led to someone innocent’s murder would not die until she knew they were safe.

As hope seemed lost to the Queen, as the soldiers failed to return, someone marched through the doors of the castle. It was Sir Walter Justice. The neatly dressed military man bowed before the queen and saluted the king. “What news do you have on the proceedings of your investigation, Walter?” The Queen asked, holding her hand to her mouth nervously.

“Unfortunately, my lords, the group of so called rebels has wound up in the Inland. According to the report given to me by one of the two soldiers I sent, one of them tripped and accidentally dragged the others in with him.”

The King, apparently dissatisfied by this news, says nothing. He merely glares down at his old friend. The Queen seems rather indifferent. She’s no idea whether to be relieved or worried. But the feeling doesn’t last as she closes her eyes to concentrate. “I cannot see them,” she says. “My aura searching must not reach to the Inland. Perhaps if we send in a few of the soldiers, Sir Justice, we will be able to return them?”

“I am sorry, your majesty. Unfortunately, that is a negative. An Interland Gateway never releases a person at the same place it had previously after being deactivated. There will be no way of sending anyone close enough without hoping for luck.”

“That is rather unfortunate. I would have hoped this would be easier. If the gateway were to let the soldiers out too far away, it may take years for them to locate them and bring them back,” Solumn expresses.

“At any rate, they must be brought back here. I fear that soldiers will not be efficient enough for the job,” Vieneda argues.

Suddenly, the lighting in the castle flickers. An eerie feeling fills the room and a chilling breeze runs down the King and Queen’s spines. As the light suddenly flashes back on fully, six figures, all tall men and women with hoods pulled over their faces, appear before the three. Their very presence alarms the Queen, startling her. Solumn rises from his seat in a great rage but soon finds himself back down, made to sit by and unseen force. Sir Walter raised his sword and swung with great power but as he did, one of the six held up and hand, catching the blade. Then, with but a pluck, flung the six foot military man across the room as if he were no more than a bug. The king once again attempts to stand but is once again seated. In a flicker of the lights, these mysterious characters appear around the thrones. “Pardon our roughness, your majesties. We simply require your ears for a moment,” begins one of them. “We are called the Keepers of the Gateway. We will compromise with you. Our terms are this. If you wish us to locate and return the rebels for you, you will abolish your ‘Anti-Awareness’ laws. But do not do so now. You will wait to hear from us again. Do we have an understanding?”

The infuriated King Solumn breaks free of his seat and, from his royal cloak, pulls a golden blade. “You dare march into this throne room and declare yourself in a power higher than the King and Queen? You dare make demands to us? For this, I will see to your eternal stay in the Labyrinth!” He roars, swinging his blade. Just as Sir Walter Justice is thrown across the room, Solumn’s blade is too thrown across the room, a blade larger that the king himself.

“Forgive us, King Solumn and Queen Vieneda, but you are in no position to make demands.”

The King and Queen, both in a tight decision, meditate on the idea. They reach another compromise amongst themselves. They agree to abolish the Anti-Awareness policies but they will now have to have guards at every known Gateway to and from the Inland 24 hours a day. But nonetheless, they would do it.

~

Within the next day, the mysterious characters made their way to the Gateway underground where the group had vanished. One by one, they leaped through the gateway. Emerging from a gateway submerged in a lake of the Inland continent, North America. The lake is massive but the six emerge from the Gateway and fly up from the lake like balloons rising in the sky. They have emerged in Lake Eerie, a fitting location for such characters. Upon reaching dry land, they pause in the woods. “We travel together,” one of then says. We shall head first north. Stage one is nearly completed.”
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Tue 14 Sep 2010, 9:57 pm

Nice. I like it!
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Tue 14 Sep 2010, 10:09 pm

Thanks. I'll have Chapter 3 up maybe just before this weekend. It's a little long.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Thu 16 Sep 2010, 6:11 pm

This is going well. Chatper 3 should definitely be up by tomorrow night =D
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Fri 17 Sep 2010, 8:41 am

Okay, great.
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Fri 17 Sep 2010, 8:15 pm

Forumotion really needs to find a way to let us use the Tab key. Editing the line breaks into this thing took way too long.

Chapter 3

The Inland was a large place, perhaps larger than the Outland. Arch and company took a great deal of time to adjust but they did manage. After a few months of getting on their feet, Arch, Natalie, Miranda, Granger, and Locke all began their first step to Inland life; getting a job. Arch was quick to decide that he’d like to work at the mall. Perhaps it was because April had gone to work there and enjoyed her company. Perhaps it was because there were more people and more chances to gain experience. He’s taken a job in a department store, checking inventory. He found it very easy. The numbering was the same as in the Outland except for in writing he didn’t fully understand. The languages when spoken, in the Outland were the same as those of the Inland. However, in the Inland, they were written differently. But it didn’t matter. April had taught the Outlanders some about reading and writing. Natalie and Miranda had decided to work together, the problem being that they couldn’t find a job. They’d tried being waitresses but some of the male Inlanders would occasionally attack them for their looks. Outland women were often considered to be among the most beautiful creatures alive. They’d tried librarian assistants but the male Inlanders would go into uproars. They’d even tried to work at museums but that endeavor quickly ended when one Inland male was nearly successful in tearing the shirt from Natalie’s voluptuous body. She only wound up knocking him out and getting fired in the process. Granger was pleased to take the girls’ previous job as a Librarian’s assistant, seeing it as an opportunity to read up on the Inland literature. But there was another reason he took this job, so Arch believed. He’d once spotted Granger peaking up from his book, eyeing a young woman in the library. Locke had found one of the easiest jobs he’d ever taken, Inland or Outland; babysitting. He’d a real talent for it, balancing playtime and discipline almost perfectly. It was as if the children he was raising were his own.

That very year would be a changing point in the lives of all of the Outlanders. In the month of December came the Inland Holiday, Christmas. The Outland had a similar holiday where families would gather and exchange gifts but in the Inland it seemed strangely different. Things were more festive. People all around were sharing feelings of merriment, not only amongst family members, but with complete strangers. Arch and April had walked home together that day as April attempted teaching Arch about some of the Christmas customs. She told him of the feast she’d have as a young child, surrounded by family. The aroma was always divine and the look of the food, always superb, as if made by a master chef. Everyone would help to cook something different for the meal. April’s ongoing praise of Christmas and her family made Arch think. Aside from Natalie, he’d never really had any family. He could hardly recall any good moments from his childhood before his parents abandoned the two of them at an orphanage. He’d never experienced the joys of such occasions. It must be nice having all of those people around you. All of those people that care so much about you. Truthfully, deep inside, Arch was lonely.

Upon reaching the hotel and walking into the room, he found everyone standing there around a colorfully decorated tree, its light glowing, its ornaments shining. Arch, for a moment, was entirely lost in confusion. But it occurred to him that this was the custom April had mentioned, standing around the tree, opening presents. “How did you all manage this?” Arch asked everyone, a certain gleam in his eye.

“April told us about Christmas and decided she wanted to surprise you,” Natalie cheerfully replied.

Throughout the room all eyes centered on April, Arch included. “Why surprise me?”

“Well, I saw that you were a sad person. I didn’t want you to go on like that through this most wonderful time of the year,” April responded with a smile.

Locke tossed a colorfully wrapped box to Arch who clumsily caught it. “Merry Christmas, you little runt,” he said.

Arch looked down at the box carefully, unsure what would happen should he open it. Natalie looked above Arch and April’s heads. “April, what was that one tradition you told us about with the mistletoe?” She asked mischievously.

“If a guy and a girl both stand under it, they kiss.”

“Good to know,” Natalie begins, a sly grin stretching across her face. “Look up.” There, above Arch and April, hangs the mistletoe, magnificently sparkling with silver dusts in the air. The dazed pair simply stands there for a moment, paralyzed with rapid thoughts. “Well, don’t just stand there. Kiss her!”

At this, Arch realizes what’s happening around him and before he can protest, before he can even utter one word, April leaps toward him, wrapping him in her arms and kissing him gently. At first confused, Arch doesn’t know how to respond. But he analyzed. It felt…Right.

~

A year later, each of the Outlanders had found a significant other. Within another year, the first child of the group had been born. Arch and April had married and had a beautiful baby girl. Her hair a faded pink, her eyes a deep red, she was a cheerful child. Her father was proud to say that she was her daughter as was her mother. Lilith would be her name. Arch had told April that his last name was Danvers. He’d told her about the Outland, a topic which, at first, she was skeptical. But then he showed her his incredible gift of controlling water. That, alone, made her believe. He didn’t need to have his partners show her their amazing powers. He didn’t need to have Natalie juggle fire in the room that had been sparked simply from the snap of her fingers. Nor did he have to make Locke create a small tremor beneath an abandoned apartment building. April did not need to see Granger solve an equation that not even the smartest of Inlanders could crack. While cute, she didn’t need for Miranda to show her the knack she had for communicating with animals. April believed her husband. “You know I would love you no matter where you were from,” she’d say to him.

“Prove it,” he’d say and they’d kiss.

Arch was an outstanding father to his daughter, as well. He would always tell her about the Outland and show her his wondrous powers. Then he told her that one day, perhaps one day soon, she would be able to do great things as he did. “Daddy,” she’d say in a cute voice, “Can I see it again?” She didn’t mean his powers. A souvenir he’d brought from the Outlander, a snow globe. Should one shake it, rather than glitter and the like, one would get and image of the Outland, and all its glory, magically displayed from within the glass. “It’s pretty,” she’d say with a smile. Arch would tell her stories about great things within the Outland and occasionally, Natalie would tell her of her dream of being the princess. It would only open Lilith’s mind farther. At age four, Lilith would say something that her father would never have expected. “Can we go there some time?” It was a shock to Arch. He’d never thought about it before.

“Yes, of course we can,” he responded, sure he’d made a mistake. He’d no idea where to find a way back to the Outland. Fortunately for him, in little time it would make no difference.

~

Seven years of searching this endless world had finally brought the search to and end. The same six hooded figures from years past have searched a great many gateways and finally, they arrive. Having been hinted by some local figures, they violently charge through the city. That night was dark. The rain on the window of Arch, April, and Lily’s new home seemed to lull everyone. Lilith lay in her father’s lap asleep. Only five, the girl fit snugly as her mother ran her fingers through her long pink hair. Natalie had a son of two years after having met a remarkable fellow who believed her, entirely without ever needing to be convinced, when she told him was from an entirely different world. Granger and Locke had both met lovely ladies and each had a child, both three but four months apart, one in June and the other in September. Miranda, despite her shy nature, met a man that she’d grown to love. She’d given birth to twins this very year, by now only seven months old. These children hadn’t any clue what would soon befall them. The rain poured on the house. Pitter Patter Pitter Patter Pitter Patter it went. The water against the window created a wonderful display of lighting as the family of three sat in the dark room, only the TV giving them light, a light which the rain reflected into the room, creating magnificent patterns. On the TV, a movie called Alice in Wonderland. It was one of Lilith’s favorites. But it would be the last time she ever saw it in this house.

The hooded ones had found them. The female of their group infiltrated the house. It was as if she’d never broken in. It was as if she’d only appeared behind the front door but only because that is exactly what she’d done. Opening the door silently, she let in her allies. The group sneaked in quietly, making sure not to, so much, as brush up against anything. Making their way to the room where the family rests, they stand together. One of them, a tall and boney man, steps forward. Unfortunately for the infiltrator, Arch turns off the television once he sees the rest of his family asleep. But he sees the reflection on the screen then quickly moves, picking up Lilith and turning around. “April, get up,” He says calmly.

“What’s wrong, babe?” His wife asks, turning over sleepily but never opening her eyes.

“Get up, April,” He begins, “We’ve got a few guests.”

April opens her eyes groggily. Then, as if drinking from the fountain of life, she springs up in a panic. Eyes widened with fear, she takes a step back, nearly tripping on the coffee table. “W-who are you?” She nervously asks.

“Before we are to answer your question, you are to answer one for us. Are you aware of a place called The Outland?” The Leader asks. A steady silence fills the room, the sound of the rain on the ceiling heard all around but louder than before. Pitter Patter Pitter Patter Pitter Patter it continues. “Do not fret, madam. Answer honestly and no harm shall befall you.” April steps around the coffee table. She can feel something from them. She can sense their intentions. Uneasily nodding, she watches a bead of sweat fall to the floor from her brow. “Hmm,” begins the head of these hooded figures. “Then, unfortunately, you know far too much. Dispose of them. Only take the child. Perhaps we can avoid any…unnecessary casualties this day and simply take this one to the Outlander. No doubt that she is half Outlander, correct?”

“I’m not giving you my daughter. If you want her, you’ll have to pry her from my cold, lifeless corpse,” Arch says, standing his ground with a flare in his eye.

“That is no issue to us. We were simply going to eliminate you anyhow.”

“You can try. April, go take Lily to Natalie. I will follow you if I’m able.”

As if a force more powerful than the mighty Poseidon, Arch planted his feet and the air around him grew dense. Suddenly, all of the plumbing in the apartment burst from the walls and water flooded out, forcing all of the hooded ones to the floor. But the force somehow reversed itself and Arch was thrown into the wall. One of the hooded ones held a Reflection, a mirror used to deflect forces that could harm the bearer. Arch found himself pinned to the wall in an instant as two of the hooded figures overpowered him. One of them had a large scythe held to his side. “Off with your head, traitor,” he said.

“So not happening,” Arch responded.

Then, with a forceful tug, he freed himself. The scythe hit the wall, having never made contact with Arch’s neck. The Outland orphan moved swiftly as a fox in the night. His movements, mere blurs, his strikes like thunder, he gave a jab to the scythe bearer then surprise attacked the Reflection Bearer and stole the mirror-like device. From there he smashed the Reflection against the wall and armed himself with the bladed staff. “Don’t be foolish. You’ve no more skill with that blade than the smallest of children.”

“True, but I know it’s heavy. One swing and you can say bye bye to your heads.”

Backing up slowly, Arch made his way to the door then dropped the scythe and ran. His one and only goal was to protect his family.

~

April had gotten onto a bus with Lilith. Bound for downtown where Natalie had housed with her husband, Anthony, and their young buy, Joshua. Getting off of the bus not far from the destination, April ran, Lilith in her arms, as fast as she could. She could feel the intensity of the situation. She knew she was being pursued. A hooded figure leaped above on the rooftops. He kept in pursuit until April came to a stop. The instant April rang the doorbell, a chain wrapped around her neck and yanked upward. Lilith dropped to the ground and began to cry out of fear. “Mommy!” she screamed. Within seconds of hearing this blood curdling screech, Natalie opened the door to find April hanging there, struggling to get free. With, a flick of the wrist, Natalie began to try and torch through the chain but it proved ineffective. In a panic, Natalie began to try and pry the chain from around April’s neck but all was long lost. April was out of air and out of time, hanged to death in front of her daughter. Natalie was finally able to pry the chain loose but it was already too late, no pulse, no breath. Natalie hoisted Lilith into her arms and brought her into the house, closing the door behind her. “Aunt Natalie, what about Mommy? Why’d you leave her out there?”

“Lily, I’m sorry but your mom is…”

Natalie’s husband walked around the corner, Joshua at his side. Unfortunately, he wasn’t there for long. The front slammed to the ground as if it’d been kicked in. From the doorway flew the same chain but it was never meant to strangle. This chain had a blade on its end, a blade that pierced Anthony directly through the heart. “No!” Natalie screamed, suddenly growing enraged. She picked up both children then set them down in the baby’s room. “Stay here. I’ll be back for you in a moment,” she said. Closing the door behind her, she marched, scornfully, back to the awkward silence of the foyer. The door on the ground, she scanned for anyone who dared fuel her rage. But like a flash of lightning, a hooded Outlander appeared in the door. He lashed his bladed chain back and forth, approaching. “You killed my husband. You killed my brother’s wife. Now, I’m going to kill you,” Natalie said in a calm but rage filled voice. The chain flung toward her, the bladed end tainted with blood. Natalie, arms literally blazing, stepped away from the blade and snatched the chain from the air, yanking it. Pulling the murderer toward her, she attempted to punch him in the gut but was surprised to find a knife in his hand. Moving with the speed of a wolf, she moved away before she could be cut open. But as soon as she did, she was bound by another hooded Outlander, holding her tightly. The chain armed hood swung the bladed end, grazing Natalie’s neck, leaving a slit.

“Your time has come,” he said. Swinging the bladed end of the chain once more, he brought it to his hand. Then he threw it like a dart, jabbing the Outland sister, mother, and aunt in the lung. “I rise, you fall.”

~

Locke and his wife, Melinda, had gone to a movie together and left their son, Leo, with Granger and his wife, Sharon. Leo didn’t get along much with Granger and Sharon’s son, Dante. The two would fight over anything from toys to crayons. Granger found it annoying but Sharon saw the good in all things. She would tell them to share and that this competitive streak would only mean they would grow into fine young men, probably very terrific athletes. She didn’t know that breaking up this fight between the boys would be one of the last things she’d ever again be able to endeavor. She walked into the kitchen of the house and placed a bag of popcorn into the microwave. Turning the dial and starting the heating unit, she turned around only to find herself facing a hooded man. Before she can scream, he covers her mouth; nearly suffocating her then holds her as if for comfort. But all too quickly, he shifts, twisting her neck, snapping it and dropping her dead. Upon hearing the fall and seeing his wife’s arm on the ground in the kitchen doorway, Granger stands, rushing to her aid but quickly and quietly, he meets a knife blade with his stomach and falls to the floor before being stabbed multiple times.

Locke and Melinda approach the house some hours later to find the front door open. Upon walking into the house, thy immediately find Granger and Sharon lying on the floor, lifeless. “Oh my god,” Melinda cried, tears in her eyes. “Who would do this?”

“Ah man, Granger…” Locke began, looking around at the scene. Nothing was missing from the home. Nothing had been taken. This wasn’t theft. It was a planned murder. Soon, Locke would find the culprit. Suddenly, he realized something. “Oh my god, the kids!” he said. He rushed to the kids’ play room where he found the two boys sleeping. The relief he felt was brief as he was quickly thrown from the room, landing on his back.

~

Some time later, Arch had made his way to Natalie’s house to find his wife dead on the doorstep. He kneels down next to April and holds her in his arms. He walks inside afterward to find his sister. But all he finds is that she and her husband lay dead on the floor in the foyer. “Ah man,” he says, dropping to his knees next to his sister’s lifeless body. “Natalie, I’m so sorry.”

“You are not nearly as sorry as you will soon be, traitor,” says the voice of a hooded Outlander.

Arch, rage nearly at its maximum, can’t maintain. He takes a step toward the figure. “Why are you doing this?” He asks, trying to sound as though he’s got some form of self control.

“You disturbed the balance. For that, you must die in order to restore it.”

Lilith watched from around the corner. Her father heroically attacked the hooded man but it was for naught. His rage had made him sloppy. The hooded Outlander hardly flinched. He only stepped to the side then grabbed Arch’s arm and twisted it, in turn breaking the bone. But Arch, entirely determined, refused to let that stop him. Lilith simply beamed but was suddenly snatched up. It was Locke. He’d escaped but Melinda was nowhere to be found. “Mr. Locke? Mr. Lock, you have to help my daddy!”

“Shush, Lily, he can take care of himself. We have to worry about getting you to safety.”

Locke grabbed both kids and ran around the house. But through the downed front door, Lilith saw the Arch thrown farther back into the house to where she couldn’t see him. “Daddy!” she cried. Inside, it was probably better that Lilith didn’t see. The hooded Outlander got the upper hand from Arch’s sloppy movements. He forced Arch to the ground, unable to get up with a bad arm and leg. Then he swung the bladed end of the chain yet again, this time for Arch’s neck as a guillotine. “Off with your head, traitor,” he said.
“NO!”

~

Locke managed to reach a taxi cab before any of the hooded ones spotted him. But he knew that wouldn’t stop them. Nothing could stop them. They’d killed Natalie, Granger, Melinda, April, Sharon, Anthony, and more than likely killed Arch. There was no way he alone could stop them and protect the kids. He’d need help. The cab had let him and all of the newly orphaned children. “Everyone, get out,” he rushed. Each child got out of the cab. Those that didn’t fully understand him were picked up. “We’re at Aunt Miranda’s house. She and I will take care of you for a little while,” he said through a false look of certainty. But he opened the door to find Miranda on the floor, not dead, but scrubbing the floor. “Miranda, we have a problem. Someone’s hunting us down.”

“What do you mean?”

“Someone’s after all of us Outlanders and our loved ones. I’m sorry to say this but April, Natalie, Anthony, Granger, Sharon, Melinda, and…”

“And Arch?”

“All of them are dead. The kids are in trouble. All of us are in serious danger.” Suddenly, from around the corner, there is a sound. Miranda guides everyone inside. Her husband sees Locke pass by and greets him. But the instant they leave the room, there’s a loud sound, the very sound of metal striking flesh and bone. “Oh no,” Locke says. “Miranda I’m…I’m so sorry.” Miranda looks down in sheer terror. Her husband had just been slaughtered. “Miranda, we can’t afford this now! Where is the hiding place? I’ll get the kids.”
“T-the hiding place…I-it’s in the basement…it’s a secret room hidden by a trap door.”
“Alright, you take these kids down there. I’ll go get your two.”

Locke disappeared around the corner as Miranda led and carried the children to the hidden room in the basement below. Within seconds, Locke had managed to retrieve Miranda’s beloved twins, Brass and Jaclyn, a boy and a girl. He managed to get them to Miranda then looked deeply at her. “Miranda, they’re not going to give up. You’re aware of that, right?”

“Yes,” Miranda said weakly.

“You protect the kids. Do what you think is best for them.”

Locke heroically left Miranda and the children in the hidden room. “Come, children, there is a tunnel. We have to get out through it,” Miranda said shakily as she began to crawl through the tunnel of the small room, leading outside. Once outside, Miranda helped each child out of the the tunnel and looked back on her house. “I’m horribly sorry, Locke.” Suddenly the ground began to shake and every house for miles shook with it. In some placed, the ground split apart. In others, debris fell. Inside, Locke was facing off all six hooded Outlanders.

“Where are the children and the last of your party?” Their leader asked-he was the one with the chain.

“If you think I’m telling you, you’re crazier than I thought!” Debris began to fall throughout the house.

“What is the meaning of this?!”

“It’s called an Earthquake. Better run for cover.”

Outside, Miranda watched as the entire house caved in. Turning her head in sorrow, she looked down at all of the children. How would she take care of all of them? It was a painful decision but it was one she’d have to bear. She travelled downtown with each child and got onto a subway with them all in sight and three in her arms. The ride seemed longer now that, in this world, she would be alone. Even in the Outland, it would be no different. After seven years, no one she’d held dear before would recognize her, let alone take her in, not that she’d any idea how to return to the Outland. Her decision stuck. By early the next morning, she and the children were at an orphanage. “Listen, children. I don’t wish to leave you but I have to. You aren’t safe with me. Lilith, you are the oldest. Play big sister for them. Watch after them. Don’t let any of them ever forget that their parents loved them,” she said, tears running down her face. “Brass and Jaclyn, I love the two of you more than life itself. I know you can hardly understand me, most of you, but you are all I have left which is why I have to go because if I don’t, you’ll all be in danger.” Miranda rang the doorbell, by now the tears on her face were much more like waterfalls only kissed by time to the point where they’d slowed. She left a note in Lilith’s hand, knowing it was too complicated for her to read. “Give that to whoever answers the door,” Miranda said, “I love you all.” Then she ran. She ran without stopping. Soon, she would disappear into a crowd of people.

A woman opened the door. Her hair was neat and her face had the warmest look about it. She looked around then saw the children standing on the doorstep. For a moment, she beamed at them, amazed at how many there were. Lilith, still shaken by the past few nights’ events, handed this woman the note, arm trembling. “Hello, little one,” the woman began, “What is this?”

Dear Caretaker,

I am sorry to bring forth such terrible news. Each of these children is now orphaned. I am the mother of the youngest two, the twins. Last night, the parents of each child were brutally murdered. I can’t take care of them. I am in danger, myself. If the children were to stay with me, I would never forgive myself should some unspeakable harm befall them. Take care of them please. Make sure they find good homes. The oldest, the one who would give you this note, her name is Lilith. The next two aren’t related but they are both three years old. They are Leo and Dante. The two year old is the one with black hair. His name is Joshua. The twins, the loves of my life, watch over them carefully please. They are Brass and Jaclyn. I know you will take good care of them; better care than I could possibly provide my current situation. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Ms. Miranda Lanning

“Oh my lord,” said the woman. She looked around then bent down. “Come along, children, come.” Closing the door behind her, she looked at each child individually. “Hello, I understand that you’re Lilith? What beautiful hair and eyes, you have. My name is Ms. Scott.” Lilith, still rattled, hadn’t the words or the will to respond. “Right, I should have expected that from you children. Your parents were just…”

“You can call me, Lily,” Lilith responded quietly.

“Lily,” Ms. Scott said almost to herself, “Okay, good. It is nice to meet you, Lily.”

Looking down on the children all together, Ms. Scott could see something in them. It was like a special glow, radiating from them all as a whole. These children, these marvelous children, they’re meant for great things.

Oh my goodness, this chapter was soooo sad, I cried while I was writing it! I don't like doing depressing things but it was the only way to set up the rest of the story Sad

Feedback, as always, is much appreciated...so long as you don't curse and aren't a jerk about it.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Fri 17 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

Chapter 4 will be up tomorrow most likely. It's another really short one, only 3 or 4 MS Word pages. In the mean time, how about Chapter 3, huh?
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Sat 18 Sep 2010, 2:03 am

Sorry if this chapter is a little confusing. That's only because it's actually supposed to be. Plus, a lot happens in only a brief 4 or so pages but it's those short chapters that make a big difference n_n

Chapter 4

In the Outland, King Solumn and Queen Vieneda have waited for seven years for the return of the hooded ones, fearing the worst. Perhaps they’d been beaten and the rebels. Maybe they’d made sure the Inland was again made aware of the presence of the Outland. Would the Inland attempt another war? No, even if they did know of the Outland’s existence, the Inlanders had no way of getting to the Outland without the gateways which no one would be able to figure out. The King and Queen had far greater matters to attend to. Four years after the initial leave of the hooded ones, the King and Queen had a child, a beautiful baby girl whom they’d named Nyan. From an early age, perhaps unusual for most Outlanders, Nyan had displayed her unique powers. She was only two when she made her gift of healing. She’s cut her hand on the end of a blade and before everyone’s very eyes, the wound healed. Nyan was fond of her mother’s crown, often pulling it from her head and wearing it. But it wasn’t only the crown. Whenever she was held by anyone with any form of headwear, she’d removed it from her head and tried to place it on her own; no matter how much large the hat was than she was. By now age three, Nyan was already showing signs of being a very mature young girl. But she was also imaginative and pleasantly ignorant. She was almost a relief to her parents’ worries.

Then a dark day came for the Royal Family when one of the hooded ones, the leader and the only of them to have survived the collapse of the building, arrived in the castle. He stood there in utter silence for a matter of moments. “You bring us news, hood?” The king asks.

“There is news, your majesties. Unfortunately it is only negative. The rebels had told their loved ones of the Outland. Who knows if they’d told anyone else of this place’s existence? We were able to locate them. They resisted, however. There was a great struggle. Each of the rebels, except for one, was slaughtered. In the struggle, my partners, too, were slain.”

In the corner of the room, a very skeptical Sir Walter Justice stands, head held high. In the seven years since the hooded ones left, it’d never been more peaceful. He was beginning to doubt the hooded ones. “Very well,” King Solumn began. If you wish to have a military aid…”

“No, your majesty, I am not here for any military assistance. I can handle the one that got away on my own. I am simply here to make sure that you’ve not forgotten our deal.”

“Your terms, as I recall, were public awareness of the Inland. Your ‘bargain’ sticks.”

“Well, you see, your majesty, I’ve not the time to wait. I will go and retrieve the last of the rebels but you must first take up your end of the agreement.”

“What in blazes for?!” he asks in a rage.

“I am simply pressed for time and came to see to it that you take up your end of the deal we’ve made.”

Solumn stood from his throne, a hand on his blade. But then he realized something. Where was his daughter that had at one time been sleeping in his lap? Nyan, hardly able to understand the danger she was potentially in, had climbed down onto the carpet between the thrones and the hooded one. With on hand poised on the bladed end of his chain, the hooded one, smiled, the only facial gesture one could read from beneath the hood, which only covered his upper face. “Be very careful of your next action, your majesty. Is your daughter’s life not more precious to you than the entire kingdom?”

Within the next week, the King and Queen had arranged to make a decree. An assembly was held in the royal ballroom to address the matter. Once all of the media had arrived, Solumn and Vieneda stepped forward. “People of Outland, we must convey upon you are very serious matter,” Vieneda began.

“For too long the royal family has kept its share of secrets. Today these secrets will see the light of day. History tells of a great war with foreign land, Underland. The war claimed to eliminate the very lands from existence, resulting in the Everlasting Desert.”

“Such a place never existed. The true war was held with a foreign place called The Inland.”

A hushed uproar filled the crowd. The King and Queen paused as they waited for the uproar to die down. Sir Walter Justice, too, was surprised. Because he’d never known the king to lie, he was shocked to find the truth of the war. “The Inland is a far different place from here. During the war, they used similar methods of weaponry to us. However, they get increasingly more brilliant as time passes. They have been developing a great many newer, far more advanced weapons that we couldn’t hope to compete with.”

“Does this mean we’re going back to war with them,” a curious man in the crowd asked.

“Not by any means. The war was settled many ages ago when our two worlds were divided into two separate plains or reality,” Vieneda assured him. “We simply felt it time for the secrets to end.”

“Now, if you would excuse us, we have some pressing matters to which we must attend.”

With the, Solumn and Vieneda left the ballroom. The assembly adjourned, the crowd scattered, wandering off back to the capitol city, Almecha. The hooded one lingered there in the ballroom for a moment then left but Sir Walter, being the skeptic he was, followed. The hooded one was no fool, he knew Sir Walter was following him and Sir Walter knew that the hooded one was onto him. Yet the pursuit continued.

~

In the castle, Solumn and Vieneda sit in their thrones, meditating. “What have we done?” Vieneda asks her husband, a hint of worry in her voice.

“We have just shattered a seal older than the kingdom itself. We will have to be careful. Any false actions could cause cataclysmic consequences.”

“We have abandoned the kingdom’s trust.”

Solumn stands and turns to his wife, helping her to her feet. “Come, we need to see our daughter. Perhaps she will be all there is left of our world when this is over. We need to tell her.” Vieneda shakes her head as she proceeds to follow Solumn.

Nyan sleeps soundly in her crib. The royal bedroom of the princess is colorfully decorated and very large for such a small child. Solumn peaked into the room as if holding something back from deep within. “Solumn, she is only three years of age. She couldn’t possibly understand what is happening.”

“It is why I give her this,” Solumn begins, holding a small necklace in his hand. “May this, the necklace be the only tool she needs to finally end this prolonged nightmare.”

The sleek, blue, crystal necklace shines in the moonlight. Nyan, sleeping soundly, glows with the necklace in the moonlight. The beautiful child, to her parents, is far more than a daughter. She may very well be the savior the Outland has yearned for.

~

The next day may, very well, have been the most infamous day for the King and Queen than that of the previous. The hooded one appeared before them in silence. “What news do you bring with you now, hood?” Nothing, nothing but a dead silence. The hooded one made not even a sound and didn’t even twitch. “I do not like to repeat myself,” Solumn said, curling his hand into a fist.

“Your majesties, I’ve a request. You must declare a remembrance day…a day to remember the war.”

“What, what nonsense is this?!” Vieneda asks, turning to her husband.

“You needn’t question my motives, not yet. All will soon be revealed.”

The King and Queen, knowingly, exchange very uncertain glances as the throne room falls to a dead silence. The hooded one has become and advisor to the royal family against their will and they can do thing about it lest they risk the kingdom and their young daughter’s life. The very next day they will call another assembly. Citizens, still rattled by the recent days’ affairs, march into the ballroom, uncertain of what they will now receive. The King begins to open his mouth to the decree. Vieneda closes her eyes and holds her daughter’s hand tightly. Lord knows what will happen should this get out of hand. But what is so important that the King and Queen, generations, in fact, of the royal family had to keep it a secret from the general public? Perhaps the answer, as unlikely as it may seem, lay in their young daughter, Nyan, the girl they look to as their last chance at a savior.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Sat 18 Sep 2010, 9:38 am

Interesting.
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1
Rising Star 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Sat 18 Sep 2010, 7:56 pm

Hm? Oh thank you...I can't believe I'm JUST seeing this XD

I'll have the next chapter in a week or so. It's a bit longer.
Mercury
Mercury
Apprentice 1
Apprentice 1

Back to top Go down

Post by superdork11 Sun 19 Sep 2010, 8:55 am

Alright then.
superdork11
superdork11
Rising Star 1